How to Sue a Government Servant in India: A Comprehensive Guide to Civil Cases, Departmental Actions, and Writ Petitions


How to Sue a Government Servant in India: A Comprehensive Guide to Civil Cases, Departmental Actions, and Writ Petitions

To sue a government servant in a civil case or initiate a procedure against them, there are specific procedures that need to be followed, which may include getting prior approval from the government and potentially filing a writ petition. Here’s a general outline of the steps involved:

1. Civil Suit Against a Government Servant

A. Notice Requirement (Section 80 of CPC):

  • Before filing a civil suit against a government servant, you must serve a two-month notice to the concerned government department or the government servant. This is mandated by Section 80 of the Code of Civil Procedure (CPC), 1908.

B. Content of the Notice:

  • The notice must state the cause of action, the name, description, and place of residence of the plaintiff, and the relief sought.

C. Filing the Suit:

  • After the expiry of the two-month notice period, if the government does not address the issue, you can proceed to file the suit in the appropriate court.

2. Departmental Action Through a Senior Officer

A. Filing a Complaint:

  • You can file a complaint against the government servant with their superior officer or the head of the department. This is often the first step in initiating action against a government servant for misconduct or negligence.

B. Internal Inquiry:

  • The department will usually conduct an internal inquiry into the allegations. The inquiry may involve taking statements from witnesses, reviewing relevant documents, and providing the accused an opportunity to present their case.

C. Disciplinary Action:

  • Based on the findings of the inquiry, the department may take disciplinary action against the government servant, which could range from a warning to suspension or dismissal, depending on the severity of the misconduct.

3. Filing a Writ Petition

A. Grounds for Writ Petition:

  • If the issue involves violation of fundamental rights or if there is no adequate alternative remedy, you may file a writ petition directly in the High Court or the Supreme Court under Articles 226 and 32 of the Constitution of India, respectively.

B. Types of Writs:

  • Habeas Corpus: To secure the release of a person unlawfully detained.
  • Mandamus: To compel a government official to perform a duty they are legally obligated to perform.
  • Prohibition: To prohibit a lower court from exceeding its jurisdiction.
  • Certiorari: To quash the order of a lower court or tribunal.
  • Quo Warranto: To challenge the legality of a person’s claim to a public office.

C. Drafting and Filing the Petition:

  • The petition should clearly state the facts, the rights violated, the relief sought, and the grounds for filing the writ. It should be accompanied by an affidavit and relevant documents.

D. Court Proceedings:

  • The court will issue a notice to the government servant and the concerned department. Both parties will present their arguments and evidence, after which the court will issue its judgment.

Relevant Sections and Articles

  • Section 80 of CPC: Requires a two-month notice before suing a government or public officer.
  • Articles 32 and 226 of the Constitution of India: Provide the right to constitutional remedies and the power of the High Courts to issue certain writs.

By following these steps, you can initiate civil proceedings against a government servant or seek redress through departmental action or a writ petition. If you need more detailed information or guidance on the specific procedures, consulting with a legal expert or lawyer is advisable.

Court Practice Community

WhatsApp Group Invite

Join WhatsApp Community 

Post a Comment